Sunday, July 12, 2009

MORE CLASSMATES

Long time friend and classmate (shipmate) Richard J. May wrote me more details about his service and how we were classmates at Pensacola. Like a lot of others we seemed to be intertwined in our training and duty stations.
Rich also has a web site and I added a link for you to visit his place. He is quite accomplished.
Here is what Rich wrote to me:
Hi Sarj,
What a nice surprise to hear from you! And what a coincidence, too. I just spoke last night by telephone with an old buddy from NPC in Anacostia, Eugene "Charlie" Gawracz. And I am in constant contact with Bob McKinley, whom I was stationed with in Keflavik, Iceland. You and he were at PIC in Suitland, MD together before Iceland.
Bob and I are both life members of NANP (National Association of Naval Photographers) and we are going to be at the annual meeting in Pensacola in October of this year. We certainly hope that you are there too.... especially since you already live in Florida. Go to www.navyphoto.org for details.
I joined the Navy on 2 November 1958 and did my boot camp at Great Lakes, Company 491. After boot camp, I was sent to Norman for "P" School, and I'm pretty sure that Norman is where we (you and I) first met. From there, I went to Pensacola, and I'm positive that we were in the same "A" school class together. (Don't ask me my Class #, because I don't remember it.) I left there in August of 1959 for NPC. Chuck Swassing and Bill Newby were also in the class with me and both went to NPC also. Swassing still lives in DC and in fact, he went to high school in Council Bluffs, Iowa with Bob McKinley. Bill Newby retired from the navy as a PHC and lives in Pensacola now. We hope to see him at the meeting.
I am forwarding this to Bob McKinley because he will want to get in touch with you also. By the way, my website is: www.richauthor.com . And I really like your website!
Stay in touch,
Rich

No comments: