Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Anacostia Naval Receiving Station Washington, D.C.

After reading Rich May’s story about the barracks in Anacostia Receiving Station in Washington, D.C. I remembered an embarrassing event that happened to me while on watch there in the summer of 1959.
Everyone that was assigned to the barracks for compartment cleaning , while waiting for their clearance, had to also stand watch in the barracks and hallway.

One early evening I was standing watch and the OD cam up and told me to call in a Fire Alarm Drill. I got so excited that when I called the fire number I forgot to mention it was a “DRILL” . Boy oh boy was the OD and me shocked when we heard the sirens coming down the street. The OD asked me “Did you say FIRE DRILL and I said I think so?. Well it was a very embarrassing experience and I bet that OD never asked anyone to call for a fire drill again.

The next day I found a Fire Chiefs hat on my bunk. The guys when out and bought one for me to wear. I wore it once just do they could laugh at me and then threw it away.
Sarj

No comments: