Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mr. Ivan G. Van Meter
Naval Photo School Pensacola, FL       Graduate of 1944
 photos of Mr. Ivan Van Meter


This is the fun part of doing this blog; getting an email from someone who knows a person or persons that attended the Photo School and served in the Navy as a Photomate. I received this email from Mr. Jack LaPeer. Read below.

Naval Photography School at Pensacola

Jack LaPeer
 To: sarj@sarjbloom.com
Sarj,
Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

My name is Jack LaPeer and I came across a link to your blog on the Naval Photography School at Pensacola, FL. I think we may share a mutual interest regarding this school, you being a graduate in 1959 (hope this correct) and I having some scanned photos taken by Mr. Ivan G. Van Meter who graduated September 30, 1944. I've attached a copy of his graduation certificates for your information. Mr. Van Meter was assigned to a photo recon unit until the end of WWII, then returned to his home near the Grand Rapids, MI area. As I understand it from his daughter, who was my source of the photos, etc that I scanned, Ivan ran a successful potrait studio until his death several years ago.
I've scanned most of the remaining photos taken during his Navy service that his daughter obtained
 Naval Photography School at Pensacola
after his death with the understanding that I will share them with websites, etc, that share a common interest with Ivan's naval service. For instance, his aerial photo unit was on the USS Bogue and I have shared some USS Bogue related photos with the relevant websites. There are a few, however, that he took, I think around Pensacola or perhaps the other school at Anacostia, DC he graduated from. I am wondering whether or not, Sarj, you could look at some of these and perhaps identify their location. I'm pretty sure they would have been taken after his graduation from Pensacola and probably Anacostia, too. Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.
Jack LaPeer Orleans, MI


Along with this first letter the above certificates were attached as well as the photo below taken in 1944.

I think that this pier was near the main Admin building. Anyone have another idea?
After looking more carefully at this photo , I realized they are not fishing but crabbing. Having lived in MD for a long time I recognized the strings, which you tire chicken necks on to and also the wire net to grab the crabs with. 

More of Ivan's photos 

Looks like the old C-20 or was it K-20 ?  
I used one of these once out the door of a Beachcraft to photograph Andrews AF Base. I was warned to buckle the camera to the plane not myself. They could lose me but not the camera. 

More of Pensacola





Vintage Post Cards of Pensacola





Thanks again Jack for sharing these historic photos. This is why I started this blog.
Sarj







1 comment:

Sarj Bloom said...

I was told by a guy on NANP facebook page that the camera Ivan is holding out of the plane is not a K-20 that I thought it was but an F-56 which was a little bigger and harder to use.