Wednesday, July 1, 2009


This is me cruising into the Big Lagoon from the base rec center.

Stev


Stev Pitchford a fellow PH sent this in today.


I came to Pensacola in February, 1959, from Aviation Prep School in Norman, OK. I spent my first three months in Pensacola as a mess cook, so while I don’t remember you there Sarj, I probably dished out some food to you in the mess hall.

After mess cook duty, Pensacola was a pretty good duty station. The Photo School was in a nice setting. Our barracks was just down the hill from the base swimming pool. On the weekends, a couple of us would rent a boat from the base rec center, cruise up the Big Lagoon, and land somewhere on Perdido Key. We’d cross to the Gulf side of the Key and swim a little and get sun burnt. When we got hungry, we’d go back the boat and ride across the Lagoon to one of the boat-in hamburger stands on the mainland. Cruising up and down the Lagoon, we’d almost always have a few dolphins swimming along beside us.

I left Pensacola and the Photo School in July, 1959, for a little leave at home, then proceeded to Taiwan Defense Command.


This is me cruising into the Big Lagoon from the base rec center.

Stev


3 comments:

Sarj Bloom said...

Stev I just found my DD 214 and here are the dates that I was in Norman,OK and in Pensacola A School. I was at Norman from Feb.16,'1959 and left there on 4 Mar '59 I mist have taken some leave because my records show that I started A School on May 4 '59 and graduated on 24 Jul '59 From there I went to NPIC Naval Photographic Interpretation Center in Suitland MD.
We must have crossed paths some where in Pensacola. It's amazing how close we were

Anonymous said...

Sarj - I see my DD 214 shows I started PH "A" School 6 Apr 59 and graduated 26 Jun 59. Since I started school a month ahead of you, I didn't dish out any food to you in the mess hall.
Stev

Sarj Bloom said...

Well the mystery is solved. So it looks like I was following you to duty stations.